Yogyakarta: The Cultural City
Yogyakarta, the capital city of the Yogyakarta Special Territory is a city of liveliness and affability. It is the focal point of regional development within Central Java and home to diverse art and culture. With close proximity to the nation’s international gateways of Jakarta and Bali, Yogyakarta with its half-million population is a relaxed, friendly and extrovert municipality that is big enough for every facility and small enough to be easy for newcomers. With its warm tropical climate and rich cultural heritage of the Sultanate of Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat, the city presents unwind nature surroundings, vibrant cultural life, and stimulating touristy atmosphere. It is safe, inexpensive and most significantly offers a wide range of modern educational opportunities including first-rate art and craft centers. All together, it makes Yogyakarta an exciting place to live.
The city of Yogyakarta is situated on Java Island, about 500 km southeast of Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia. As the capital of Yogyakarta Special Region Province, the city has about 32.5 km2 area with a total population in 2004 of around 398,004 and population density of 12,246.28/km2 (National Socio Economic Survey, 2004).
The city of Yogyakarta has a long and rich history, documented in Indonesian literature. It was founded in 1755, when the Sultanate of Mataram, which had been in existence since the 8th century, was divided by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) under the Treaty of Giyanti into two parts: the Sultanate of Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat, with Yogyakarta as its capital, and Surakarta Hadiningrat, with Surakarta as its capital. During the Indonesian National Revolution (1945-1950) Yogyakarta played an important role in countering the aggression of the Dutch after World War II.
Yogyakarta enjoys a tropical climate, with warm sunshine and correspondingly high temperatures for the best part of the year. The average daily temperature is between 26oC and 28oC, with highs not exceeding 35oC and lows rarely dipping below 18oC. Humidity is relatively high, which can give the city a sticky feeling, especially in the rainy season when humidity can be as high as 75 per cent.
Important places in Yogyakarta
Hotels (around campuss)
- Duta Garden Hotel & Boutique Hotel, Timuran MG III/103, Prawirotaman, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55153
- D’ Talents Suites Guest House, Prawirotaman III / 669A, Yogyakarta 55153, Indonesia Phone: (0274) 378 669, 383 505
- Dusun Jogja Village, Jl. Menukan 5, Karangkajen, Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia. Phone: +62 274 373031;384438 & Fax +62 274 382202. website:https://www.jvidusun.co.id. e-mail: email@example.com
- Hotel Winotosastro. Jl.Parangtritis No.92A, Jl. Sastono Mj III No.825,Yogyakarta Telp.0274-387110,387330 Fax.0274-371632,372133 www.winotosastro.com email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ros in Hotel, Jl. Lingkar Selatan No.110, Parangtritis, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55187
- D’Omah Yogya Hotel, Jl. Parangtritis Km 8.5, Bantul, 55186 Yogyakarta
- Tembi Rumah Budaya, Jl. Parangtritis Km 8.4 Tembi, Timbulharjo, Sewon Bantul, 55186 Yogyakarta
- Panti Rapih Hospital, Jl Teuku Cik Ditiro 30 RT 033/07 YOGYAKARTA telp: +62-274-563333, 515709
- PKU Muhammadiyah General Hospital. Jl KH Akhmad Dahlan 20 YOGYAKARTA. telp: +62-274-512653
- Dr. Sardjito Public Hospital. Jl Kesehatan 1 YOGYAKARTA. telp: +62-274-587333
- Bethesda Hospital, Jl. Jenderal Soedirman No. 70 Yogyakarta, telp: +62-274-562246, 586688
- Ludira Husada Tama Hospital, Jl Wiratama 4 YOGYAKARTA,Tel: 0274-620333 – 0274-620373
- Wirosaban Hospital Yogyakarta, Jl. Wirosaban No. 1 Yogyakarta INDONESIA 55162, telp: +62-274-371195, 386691, 386692 fax: +62-274-371195
- Jogja International Hospital, JIH (Jogja International Hospital) Condong Catur, Sleman, Yogyakarta 55283 Telp. 0274-446 3535 (Hunting)
- Banks : Mon-Fri 8 am-3 pm & Say 8 am-1 pm
- Embassies : Mon-Fri 8 am-2 pm, Fri 8-11 am & Sat 8 am-12.30 pm
- Mall/shopping centers : Mon-Sun 10 am – 10 pm
- Post offices : Mon-Thu 8 am – 2 pm, Fri 8 am – 11 am & Sat 8 am – 12.30 pm
- Airline offices : Mon – Fri 8 am – 4 pm & Sat 8 am – noon
FESTIVAL KESENIAN YOGYAKARTA (FKY)
|Category||:||Art, Culture, Family and Entertainment|
|Time||:||10.00 - 21.00 WIB|
|Tempat||:||VREDEBURG FORT, Yogyakarta, Indonesia|
|Description||:||Yogyakarta Arts Festival (FKY) is an annual event held by the city government and the artists in Yogyakarta. In the exhibition that took place during this month there will be a variety of traditional and contemporary art shows, trade shows and art, culinary bazaar, and the various races.|
|CP / EO||:||(+6274) 587 486|